Thursday, March 29, 2007

Welcome

When I first started to promote my book "Mrs. Rowe's Restaurant Cookbook: A Lifetime of Recipes from the Shenandoah Valley, " I was often asked to characterize the Valley. There's a great deal of curiosity about the place I call home. And there should be. It is a unique place, filled with both gorgeous mountain vistas and rolling farm fields. Let's not forget the quaint little towns, like Staunton, and Waynesboro.
Perhaps it's because of living in a valley, or maybe it's because we're fairly rural, but changes come slowly, trickling down through years of staid tradition. Whether it's religion, education, or food, new attitudes are considered suspicious. Eight years ago when we moved here from the DC area, I drove 30 miles to Charlottesville just to get organic milk. Now, I can find it everywhere. Changes are coming—however slowly.
I hope this blog will give a glimpse into the Shenandoah Valley. I hope to cover the farmer's markets, farmsteads, food festivals, and restaurants in the area. I'll also update you about my life as a mom and a writer. For me, food, family, and writing can't be separated. At least not right now. So, check back frequently. Write often.